Ayushman Bharat Yojana is an ambitious healthcare scheme started by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on September 23, 2018, with the aim of providing health coverage to 500 million poor families in India by 2022. But what exactly does this mean? How can the government cover half a billion people? And will it really help those who need it most? We’ll answer all your questions about Ayushman Bharat Yojana in this article!
Every Indian will now have access to free primary healthcare in government facilities. The flagship program of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Ayushman Bharat’ mission, Ayushman Bharat-National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM), is designed as a safety net for citizens who are suffering financially and otherwise and provides them with free medicines, diagnostics, surgeries, checkups and other kinds of medical aid.
With public healthcare being one of India’s weakest links, it was only a matter of time before such a program was announced. Launched on 23 September 2018 at Rajasthan’s Pushkar Mahotsav celebrations by Prime Minister Narendra Modi , here’s everything you need to know about what is ayushman bharat yojana .
Benefits of PM Modi’s Health Insurance Scheme
Healthcare insurance is a much-needed thing for India, but there are many benefits of Ayushman Bharat Yojana that you should know about. Not only does it cover almost 100% of your medical expenses, but there is also no limit on coverage. Ayushman Bharat Yojana
In fact, those living in rural and tribal areas have even greater benefits since they will be entitled to receive five lakh rupees (Rs 50,000) per family annually as well. This amounts to Rs 2 lakh per family every year until they turn 75! To begin with, more than 10 crore (100 million) families across India will be covered under Ayushman Bharat.
Eligibility Criteria for AYUSHMAN BHARAT
Ayushman Bharat Scheme: Also known as Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojna or the National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM) was launched on 25 September, 2018. This health insurance scheme will provide free coverage of up to Rs 5 lakh per family per year at any government and empanelled private hospitals all over India. The expenditure in the scheme will be born by Centre and states in the ratio of 60:40 respectively. The Schemes covers 10 crores households (Nearly 50 crores persons), in which 8 crores families are from rural areas and 2 crores families from urban areas.
Eligibility Criteria for Ayushman Bharat Scheme: The eligibility for this scheme is based on the Socio-Economic Caste Census of 2011 (SECC-2011). There is no need for separate registration to avail the benefit under the scheme. The families are automatically included in the list prepared by the government on the basis of SECC-2011. The potential beneficiary has to find out whether his/her name in included in the list. Those not in the list are not covered under the scheme. Thus, the government has avoided the manipulations in the preparation of the list of beneficiaries. The scheme has applied separate eligibility criteria for rural and urban areas.
According to an official release from PIB, The eligible age group for AYUSHMAN BHARAT YOJANA is 0-18 years. However, children of Central Government Employees (CGEs) are excluded from availing benefits under AYUSHMAN BHARAT YOJANA.
Children of CGEs will continue to be covered under CGHS. The Ayushman Bharat scheme was rolled out on 23rd September 2018 as a health protection program which is based on benefits through secondary and tertiary care hospitalization in empanelled public and private hospitals in India.
A. Eligibility Criteria in Rural areas
The eligibility criteria in rural areas include all families which suffer from the following seven deprivations:
1. Families living in only one room with kuchcha walls and kuchcha roof,
2. Families with no adult members aged between 16 and 59,
3. Female-headed family with no adult male member in the 16-59 age group,
4. Families having at least one disabled member and no able-bodied adult member,
5. SC/ST households,
6. Families with no literate adult above age 25 years.
7. Landless households deriving major part of their income from manual casual labourer,
B. Eligibility Criteria in In Urban Areas
Persons of the following 11 occupational categories of workers in urban areas are automatically included in the list:
1. Rag pickers
3. Domestic workers
4. Street vendor/cobbler/ hawker/ other service providers working on streets
5. Construction workers/ plumbers/ masons/ labourers/ painters/ welders/ security guards/ coolie and other head-load workers
6. Sweepers/ sanitation workers / gardeners
7. Home-based workers/ artisans/ handicrafts workers / tailors
8.Transport workers/ driver/ conductors/ helper to drivers and conductors/ cart pullers/ rickshaw pullers.
9. Shop workers/ assistants/ peon in small establishments/ helpers/ delivery assistants / attendants/ waiters
10. Electricians/ mechanics/ assemblers/ repair workers 11. Washer-men/ chowkidars
States Included in AYUSHMAN BHARAT
As per ‘AYUSHMAN BHARAT – India’s Healthcare Scheme,’ states and union territories (UTs) that would be covered under ‘AYUSHMAN BHARAT – India’s Healthcare Scheme’ are Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha (excluding eight eastern districts of Sundargarh. Jajpur. Balasore. Mayurbhanj. Keonjhar. Bhadrak.
Other Schemes Running Alongside AYUSHMAN BHARAT
Ayushman Bharat was launched alongside several other schemes, including Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), Atal Pension Yojana (APY), and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY). If you’re a policyholder for any of these insurance plans, you should be automatically covered under PMSBY. You need not do anything or pay anything extra. The coverage will begin from April 1, 2019.
How To Apply For AYUSHMAN BHARAT
There are three ways you can apply for AYUSHMAN BHARAT, and we’ve got all of them covered right here. First, you can go through your state government’s official website and apply directly.
The second way is by visiting a nearby hospital which is empanelled with AYUSHMAN BHARAT.
Or, thirdly, visit an accredited private medical college or any super specialty hospital that participates in AYUSHMAN BHARAT and register there. For information on how to apply using these methods, read on further.
What Are The Benefits Of AYUSHMAN BHARAT?
This initiative will benefit citizens who have been struggling for proper medical care, especially in rural India. It will ensure that patients receive primary and secondary health care at no cost or a minimal cost of Rs. 30/- per family per year. All hospital services are 100% cashless, thus reducing out-of-pocket expenses.
Presently, in India 60% of expenditure on health is borne by individuals through out-of pocket expense due to lack of coverage under any health insurance scheme or government health programs. This is expected to reduce as AYUSHMAN BHARAT has been designed to address nearly 50% of total household disease burden in India.
Ayushman bharat Registration
If you have enrolled in one of these states, there are two ways that you can register. First, you can visit a nearby government hospital or clinic and get registered. Second, if you do not wish to go personally or are unable to access a government hospital or clinic, you can apply online on their website.
Unfortunately, as we’ve pointed out already, most people who need healthcare coverage can’t afford it; Ayushman bharat aims to help those people as well by offering free checkups and/or diagnostics at government hospitals and clinics. This part of Ayushman bharat is currently available only in four states — Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana and Madhya Pradesh — but more states will be added soon.
Facts about Ayushman Bharat Yojana
Ayushman Bharat is one of India’s biggest healthcare schemes, with Rs 5 lakh per family per year being paid out in case you need medical attention. However, there are a few things you should know about how to avail of this scheme. If you’re wondering what are all of them and where can you get answers for these questions from, here’s everything that you need to know about ayushman bharat yojana helpline number.
- Ayushman Bharat – National Health Protection Mission will have a defined benefit cover of Rs. 5 lakh per family per year.
- Benefits of the scheme are portable across the country and a beneficiary covered under the scheme will be allowed to take cashless benefits from any public/private empanelled hospitals across the country.
- Ayushman Bharat – National Health Protection Mission will be an entitlement based scheme with entitlement decided on the basis of deprivation criteria in the SECC database.
- The beneficiaries can avail benefits in both public and empanelled private facilities.
- To control costs, the payments for treatment will be done on package rate (to be defined by the Government in advance) basis.
- One of the core principles of Ayushman Bharat – National Health Protection Mission is to co-operative federalism and flexibility to states.
- For giving policy directions and fostering coordination between Centre and States, it is proposed to set up Ayushman Bharat National Health Protection Mission Council (AB-NHPMC) at apex level Chaired by Union Health and Family Welfare Minister.
- States would need to have State Health Agency (SHA) to implement the scheme.
- To ensure that the funds reach SHA on time, the transfer of funds from Central Government through Ayushman Bharat – National Health Protection Mission to State Health Agencies may be done through an escrow account directly.
- In partnership with NITI Aayog, a robust, modular, scalable and interoperable IT platform will be made operational which will entail a paperless, cashless transaction.
Ayushman Bharat Yojana website
National Health Protection Scheme – NHP is about Rs 5 lakhs per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization. The Prime Minister has launched free health insurance coverage of up to Rs 5 lakhs per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization, announced under ‘Ayushman Bharat’, in Jharkhand’s capital Ranchi. It also includes cashless treatment at private hospitals.
Ayushman ID card
Ayushman Bharat is a game-changer scheme that has been launched by PM Narendra Modi on 25th September 2018 with an aim to provide healthcare services to more than 10 Crore of poor and deprived Indians. It includes 34% of India’s population who are in below poverty line. Many people may feel how they can get benefit from it but don’t worry we will tell you all about its features, benefits and how you can avail it in detail below.
Launched in September 2018, Ayushman Bharat is a health protection program that aims to cover 10 crore families (approximately 50 crore individuals) with comprehensive health insurance. This initiative, introduced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, will replace two existing government healthcare programs — Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana and a part of National Health Mission — and make healthcare accessible to every Indian citizen.